Monday, August 3, 2009

Spending a Year Abroad

Quite fitting that on the week which I am preparing for my trip to Japan, that my first blog post is about living abroad.

For a 3.5 year period between between 2003-2006, I was fortunate enough to be living in working in Japan. I had also spent 2 years in Vanuatu at the turn of the millenium. Therefore I have lived 5.5 years outside of Australia (not including overseas vacations).

Living overseas helped me greatly in developing my independence, expanding my comfort zone, broadening my mind, learning and understanding another culture, as well as creating some great friendships. I am definitely a better person for the experience.

What I would like to suggest is that young Australians (or young Westerners), spend a year abroad. No education at highschool or university will give the same life lessons that a person will learn by living abroad. It should be encouraged from a young age that after highschool or university, that they spend a year in a foreign country, preferably a non-English speaking country, to further help a young person's independence, mindset, social skills, confidence and a lifestime of wonderful memories.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: